pH Balance and How to Restore it
Your body is a magical place to be. It has superpowers that you are hardly aware of. It balances the essentials nutrients, replenishes them on its own so that you do not have to worry about it. However, either due to ageing or the technology and modern products your body slows down the process and you have to take charge of it so that it remains young and beautiful as it is.
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels
What is pH?
Understanding your skin is the most important step towards healthy skin. The pH levels of the skin contribute towards how your skin looks. potential of Hydrogen AKA pH is present in all organic things including you. Yes, you are organic too. pH balance categorizes the levels as acidic, neutral or basic.
The pH scale ranges from 0-14. Anything below 7 has higher acidity and anything above 7 is alkaline in nature. Most skincare products are alkaline in nature having a pH level between 8-10. Water with a pH level of 7 is considered neutral. The pH balance of your skin hovers around 5. Your skin looks its best when the pH balance is as it should be. The natural moisture of the skin is properly and effectively locked in, the barrier function of your skin is at its optimal level and the skin scales less. The surface of your skin is the first barrier against the hazardous that the environment can cause to your skin. The very best with a perfect pH balance. However, if your skin is slightly acidic in nature ( a pH level of 5.5), do not panic, being slight acidic is actually a desirable thing for a healthy skin. It provides a hospitable environment to the normal bacterial flow that aids in making your skin healthy. A slightly acidic environment protects you from infections and diseases.
Photo by Min An on Pexels
Skin problems like oily or dry skin, pimples, eczema, etc occur due to a haywire pH balance. It is a tight rope maintaining the correct balance of the pH. As you can see it for yourself it is tough maintaining the correct balance of the pH. Healthy skin is the base on which all the other things depend. It is therefore important to maintain the natural pH balance of your skin for a healthy and happy you. One of the first signs that the pH balance needs restoration is dryness, acne and skin diseases.
What Causes the pH balance to go off?
If the ideal pH level of your skin is 5.5 what are those factors that throw this off-balance? Anything and everything that touches your skin affects the delicate pH balance, including water. The effects can last up to 6 hours. With modern technology, chemically-laden cosmetic products, and experimental stress, your skin is left more susceptible to adverse effects and a pH balance taking a beating.
- Chemically laden cosmetic products: Not everything that is attractively packed in a beautiful bottle is good for your skin. Most of the skincare products are chockablock with chemicals that are not considered safe for your skin. The use of these products depletes your skin of its natural oil leaving it dry and itchy.
- Products with a haywire pH balance: Most cosmetic products are highly alkaline. Soaps and shampoos should be bought with caution as many of them have detergent which are extremely alkaline in nature. Similarly, products with a high acidic pH level are also harmful to your skin. Use a pH strip to find out the balance of the products you are buying. Alternatively, listen to your skin and watch it closely. Does it dry out every time you apply the newly bought soap? It is time then to change it immediately.
- The dancing hormones: The pH balance can take a knock with changes your body goes through. Fluctuations in progesterone and estrogen can lead to excess oil production. Similarly, when women approach menopause, the pH balance becomes more neutral. As a consequence of this, the skin becomes more vulnerable to free radicals and pollution.
How to restore the pH balance?
Now that you know everything that is to know about the pH balance, here are a few easy to follow tips to restore the delicate pH balance of your body :
- Switch to pH balanced skincare products: Your current soap probably has a pH balance anywhere between 8-10. Chuck it in the bin right now. The most desirable pH level for skincare products is between 4-6. Use those cheaply available pH strips to check the levels of the skincare products.
- Give your skin the right cleanser- toner routine: Incorporate the use of a mild cleanser in your skincare routine followed by an alcohol-free toner. Toner should be applied immediately after the cleanser. This routine helps to keep the precious pH balance in check.
- Moisturise your body: A good moisturiser is the best defense against the external factors that harm your skin. An unbalanced pH level robs your body of its natural moisture content making it dry, itchy and even cracked. Moisturizing your body helps restore the pH balance and giving the lost suppleness back. Remember the three-minute rule of moisturizing. The moisturiser should be applied within three minutes of you stepping out of the shower when your body is still damp. It helps to retain the hydration that your body needs.
pH balance has a huge role to play in the way your skin looks and feels. Maintaining the delicate balance of the pH so that your skin looks its heavenliest best is a bit of a right rope walking. From chemically laden products to imbalance of the hormones there are various factors that can cause the pH level to take a beating. Using pH balanced skincare products, using a right order of products on your skin can help you restore the precious balance of the pH and make you look radiant once again.
Restore and re-balance your pH levels for a happy and healthy skin.