How to Apply Eye Cream Like a Pro
Eyes are the window to your soul. Unfortunately, they are the first ones to be affected when premature ageing decides to pay a visit to you. The area around your eyes is the thinnest on your face and extremely delicate and more susceptible to early signs of ageing like crow’s feet, fine lines, and dark circles. Is there nothing that you could do apart from taking in what if offered to you? Luckily, the skincare market has the solution for this. An eye cream that helps you fight the signs of premature aging.
Eye creams have become a popular skincare product among women who want the window to their soul look the very best.
What goes into making an eye cream?
The sheer abundance of choice about the eye creams might leave you confounded. Before you know how to apply the eye cream, let us help you understand the ingredients that you should be looking for in your eye cream.
Photo by Rayia Soderberg on Unsplash
- Retinol: A topical vitamin A based drug that reduces fine line and wrinkles by increasing the production of collagen.
- Hyaluronic acid and shea butter: These two hydrate and seals the moisture content around your eyes and delay the appearance of fine lines.
- Vitamin K and Arnica: They increase blood circulation and reduce the puffiness of your eyes.
- Vitamin C: It protects your eyes from environmental stresses like sun rays and pollution.
- Peptides: Increases elasticity of your skin.
How to apply eye cream like a pro
Have you been applying the eye cream as a final step of your skincare routine once a day? Pause right there. Your skin needs special attention because of its delicate nature. The order and the method of applying the eye cream are important for giving you the best result and value for money.
Read on to find the how-to about applying the eye cream for the best results.
When it comes to applying eye cream the is no one size fits all, no best strategy to apply it. Everyone has their own ways of applying eye cream. Dabbing, massaging, tapping differ from one person to another. But is there that one method that is more superior and yields better results than others? Experts agree that being gentle is the key. Let us deconstruct for you the steps for applying the eye cream like a professional:
- Cleansing: You do not apply the eye cream on a face that has makeup on it. Cleansing is the foundation of a successful skincare routine. Your face needs to be free of all traces of makeup before you apply the eye cream.
- Weekly exfoliation routine: Your skin acts as its own doctor. It sheds dead skin cells every 28 days or so exposing a fresh new layer. However, with age, the process slows down resulting in your skin looking dull and lackluster. A weekly exfoliation routine is recommended to take care of your dead skin cells.
- Toner: Toners are an underrated skincare product. A face toner removes whatever traces of makeup, oil, and dirt from your skin, maintains the pH levels of your skin and acts as an acne controller as well.
- Moisturiser: Never underestimate the power of the humble moisturiser. It helps lock the water content of your skin. Applying a moisturiser is an important step in ensuring that your eye cream gives the best results.
- Put the eye cream the size of a pea: Only a tiny amount of eye cream is all you need to make your eyes look youthful. Since the skin around your eyes is the most delicate, you need to use the ring finger with the gentlest touch.
- From inner corners till your brow-bone: Start with the inner corners under your eye. Put tiny dots in a semi-circle up till your brow-bone. Massage using gentle circular movement of your finger till the cream is completely absorbed. Do not go too close to your eyes or they will get irritated. Take care not to pull your skin while you are applying the eye cream.
- Wait till it gets absorbs: Remember the 90-seconds rule. Allow 90- seconds for the eye cream to absorb before you apply any other skincare product.
Avoid these mistakes while applying eye cream for best results:
- Don’t use your eye cream on eyelids: Eyelids and eyelashes are out of bound areas. These are too close for comfort and applying eye cream and can irritate your eyes.
- Don’t put too much: Just a dab is fine when it comes to your eye cream. The skin around your eyes is a small area and a dab would is sufficient to cover it.
- Do not apply eye cream on dry skin: Remember the rule for applying moisturiser on the damp skin to lock the hydration. The same holds true for your eye cream too. Once your cleanser is applied and the skin is still damp, it’s the right time to apply your eye cream.
- Don’t rub: Gentle things need gentle handling. The skin surrounding your eyes is the most delicate so don’t be rough with it when you are applying the eye cream.
- Don’t move on too quickly: Once you have applied the eye cream let it get absorbed by your skin. Wait for around 90 - seconds after you have applied the cream to move on to the other skincare products.
The skin surrounding your eyes is the most delicate one on your face and needs to be treated gently. Careless application of the eye cream does more harm than good. The order and the method are extremely important in ensuring that the eye cream gives you the maximum benefit. Just a dab is needed for your skin under the eye , starting from the inner corners till your brow-bone ,apply the cream in a semi- circular manner with gentle movements of your ring finger. Remember to wait for 90- seconds for the cream to get fully absorbed and do not be rough with your movements.
Rejuvenate the light in your eyes by giving it the eye care that it deserves.